Communicating via social media is something to be taken very seriously which is why my company, Fanscape, belongs to two organizations that are creating ethical guidelines for companies and working in tandem with the Federal Trade Commission as DWOM marketing grows. Our President Terry Dry is on the Standards Board for the Social Media Advertising Consortium (SMAC) in which he is helping to create standardized measurement and analytics for marketing in the social media space. We are also active members of the Word of Mouth Marketing Association (WOMMA), in which we follow the Code of Conduct in our campaigns.
1. Consumer protection and respect are paramount
2. The Honesty ROI: Honesty of Relationship, Opinion, and Identity
3. We respect the rules of the venue
4. We manage relationships with minors responsibly
5. We promote honest downstream communications
6. We protect privacy and permission in a campaign when asked by consumers or the media. We will provide contact information upon request.
It is important to be cognizant of the consumer and transparent and honest in the marketing approach. Not only does this give companies credibility, but it also helps build and maintain an ongoing presence in the online space.