Every week we compile lots of interesting stats here at Fanscape. This week we’re taking a break from the infographics and giving you some info about the dual screen viewing we’re all doing on a regular basis. If you are watching the Olympics, odds are you are doing additional viewing or investigating on your phone/tablet/laptop as you cheer on your favorite athletes. Here is some interesting data thanks to a recent Pew survey of 2,000+ Americans in their recent Rise of the Connected Viewer Report. Some of the highlights:
- 52% of all adult cell phone owners now incorporate their mobile devices into their television watching experience
- 38% of cell owners used their phone to keep themselves occupied during commercials or breaks in something they were watching
- 23% used their phone to exchange text messages with someone else who was watching the same program in a different location
- 22% used their phone to check whether something they heard on television was true
- 20% used their phone to visit a website that was mentioned on television
- 11% used their phone to see what other people were saying online about a program they were watching, and 11% posted their own comments online about a program they were watching using their mobile phone
- 6% used their phone to vote for a reality show contestant
- The person who invented the Frisbee was cremated and made into frisbees after he died!
- During your lifetime, you will produce enough saliva to fill two swimming pools.
- An eagle can kill a young deer and fly away with it.
- Polar bears can eat as many as 86 penguins in a single sitting.