Every week we compile lots of interesting stats here at Fanscape. As we approach the middle of the year, we thought we’d share some stats from the first half of this year. The University of North Carolina posted a blog citing a Brief History of Social Media and for this year they noted:
- YouTube tops one billion monthly users with 4 billion views per day, and launched paid channels to provide content creators with a means of earning revenue.
- Facebook user total climbs to 1.11 billion.
- Twitter has 500 million registered users, with more than 200 million active.
- Apple boasts over 50 billion app downloads
- Yahoo purchase Tumblr blogging-social media network, with 170 million users and 100 million blogs.
- Flickr has 87 million users and stores 8 billion photos, while Instagram has 100 million users storing 4 billion photos.
- LinkedIn has 225 million users, while MySpace has 25 million users.
- Pinterest has 48.7 million users, while WordPress hosts 74 million blogs.
- Dropbox has more than 100 million users with 1 billion files uploaded daily.
- Google+ has 343 million users.
- Reddit has 69.9 million monthly users, with 4.8 billion monthly page views.
- There are 156 million blogs.
- An Australian survey found 34 percent of social network users logged on at work, 13 percent at school, and 18 percent in the car, while 44 percent used social networks in bed, 7 percent in the bathroom, and 6 percent in the toilet.
Compiled by: University of North Carolina