Every week we compile lots of interesting stats here at Fanscape. Here are some we thought we’d share with you from this past week:
Women Playing More Video Games
According to a report released this week by the Entertainment Software Association (ESA):
- 45% of the entire game playing population are women
- and they comprise 46% of the most frequent video game purchasers.
- Women 18 and older make up 31% of the video game-playing population
- while boys 17 and under represent only 19% of today’s gamers.
- 58% of Americans play video games and there are, on average, two gamers in each game-playing household.
A complimentary report from Magid Advisors states:
- 70% of women between the ages of 12 and 24 play video games.
- 61% of women between the ages of 45 and 64 also play games,
- compared to 57% of men in the same age group.
- 45% percent of smartphone owners play games on their phones regularly
- 69% of tablet owners play games on their tablet regularly.
- The spike in mobile gaming has sent the market for paid smartphone downloads up 122% year-to year and paid tablet downloads up 105% year-to-year.
- Close to 70% of all Americans play some kind of game either on the Web or on their smartphones, computers, tablets and consoles.
Source for above stats from USA TODAY article.
Just for Fun
On this day in history: June 14
- 1834 – Isaac Fischer Jr. patented sandpaper.
- 1900 – Hawaii became a U.S. territory.
- 1943 – The U.S. Supreme Court ruled that schoolchildren could not be made to salute the U.S. flag if doing so conflicted with their religious beliefs.
- 1961 – Boy George from Culture Club born.
- 1965 – Paul McCartney recorded “Yesterday.”
- 1987 – The Los Angeles Lakers won the NBA title by defeating the defending Boston Celtics.
- 1988 – Kevin McHale (aka Artie from Glee) born.
Source: On This Day